a. An FCC shall be provided for station with fire lift
Rationale - Clause 8.6.1b.
The minimum networking space of 6m2 excludes spaces for equipment and furniture. When the FCC serves a multiple transit line station, the floor area of the FCC will need to be increased accordingly to accommodate additional supervisory panels.
An FCC shall be of adequate size to house all the terminals and supervisory/ control equipment etc. of the station’s fire protection/ detection systems, as well as a free working space (unobstructed by door swing) of at least 6m² and minimum clear width of 2m.
An FCC is a room within a station dedicated to the controlling and monitoring of fire protection systems during a fire emergency. As such, equipment/ services not meant for this purpose shall not be located inside the FCC with exception of the following:
(1) Lift supervisory panel.
(2) Background music system connected to one-way emergency voice communication system rack.
(3) Workstation/ server rack for security card access & CCTV system for security monitoring.
(4) Workstation/ server rack for car park access control system.
(5) Workstation/ server rack for fire alarm’s colour graphics system.
(6) Workstation/ server rack for BMS/ BAS monitoring and controlling other ACMV system.
(7) Walkie-talkie charging stations.
(8) UPS system with totally sealed battery capacity not exceeding 750Amp-hr.
Rationale - Clause 8.6.1d.
As the term “adjacent” previously used is ambiguous, it is replaced with specific distance for clarity. “5m” is considered a distance reasonably close to the fire lift lobby.
The FCC shall be located at the same level as the fire engine accessway/ fire engine access road and its entrance shall be located in the following order of priority:
(1) It shall be within 5m from entrance of the fire lift lobby at the designated storey of the station.
(2) In the case where there is no fire lift lobby, it shall be located within vicinity of the fire engine accessway or fire engine access road and within 5m from the entrance of one of the protected stairs serving all storeys of the development.
(3) It shall be at any other location as may be designated by the SCDF.
The construction of enclosure, facilities and lighting of an FCC shall comply with the SS 546.
8.6.2 Mechanical ventilation
Mechanical ventilation where required for the FCC, shall comply with:
a. Air-conditioning and/ or mechanical ventilation where required for the FCC shall be provided with secondary power supply and shall be independent of each other and have ductworks independent of any other ductwork serving other parts of the station.
Rationale - Clause 8.6.2a.
The purpose of having independent ductwork for the ACMV serving the FCC is to prevent fire or smoke from being conveyed into the FCC via the ducts.
b. The mechanical ventilation rate shall be 6 air change/hr.
c. Supply air shall be drawn directly from the external/ air shaft; its intake point shall be arranged with exhaust outlets to avoid re-circulating of air/ smoke back into the room.
d. Where the corresponding ducts run outside the FCC, they shall either be enclosed in a structure or constructed to give at least the same fire rating as the room which they serve or that of the room through which they traverse, whichever is higher.
e. No fire damper shall be fitted in either the supply or exhaust duct required under this clause.
f. Duct serving areas other than the FCC shall not pass through the FCC.
When a room is provided with more than one door, exit signs shall be provided over the exit access doors intended to be used as means of escape.
When an occupied space is provided with emergency lighting, exit sign is not required if there is only one exit access door.
In a room without emergency lighting where the room is provided with only one door and the direct distance from the furthest distance in the room to the exit access door is 7m or less, exit sign is not required if there is only one exit access door.
Diagram 8.1.7a.(3)(b)(i) - 1
In a room without emergency lighting where the furthest point in the room to the exit access door exceeds 7m but does not exceed 13m, exit sign shall be provided over the door. Alternatively, the room can be provided with emergency lighting.
Diagram 8.1.7a.(3)(b)(i) - 2
In a room without emergency lighting where the furthest point in the room to the exit access door
is 13m or less and wall of the room comprises not less than 50% clear glazing facing:
- an internal corridor covered by emergency lighting
- an external corridor, or
- the external of the building.
Exit sign is not required to be provided over the exit access door.
Diagram 8.1.7b.(1): Location of directional signs