• 995

    Fire Engine / Ambulance

  • 1777

    Non-Emergency Ambulance

  • Fire Hazard Reporting

    1800 280 0000

  • General Enquiries

    1800 286 5555

  • 995

    Fire Engine / Ambulance

  • 1777

    Non-Emergency Ambulance

Fire Safety Certificate & Temporary Fire Permit



Fire Safety Certificate

A Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) provides for the safety of the building's occupants. Therefore, owners and their Qualified Persons (QP) whom they have engaged for their fire safety works are required to apply and obtain the FSC before using or occupying the premises. The FSC is only issued after full completion of all fire safety works in the project. Failure to comply with this is an offence under the Fire Safety Act 1993 and the owner is liable to court action.


Temporary Fire Permit

A building owner may also obtain a Temporary Fire Permit (TFP) to use the premises for a limited period before obtaining the FSC. The TFP is only issued if the fire safety works of the project have been satisfactorily completed with only very minor outstanding issues. The timeframe to obtain the FSC after the TFP is issued depends on the size, type and complexity of the project.




You should only apply for an FSC/TFP after:

  • plans for the fire safety works of the project have been approved and
  • works have been fully completed in accordance to SCDF's requirements. 


You also need an Inspection Certificate issued by a Registered Inspector (RI). Depending on the type of project, a RI (Architecture) and a RI (M & E) may be needed. Owners must engage RIs to inspect and certify the fire safety works of their project before applying to SCDF for an FSC/TFP.


To appoint Registered Inspectors, a letter of appointment must be completed by the owner and RI. If the form is signed by a representative for the owner, a company stamp is also required. 


If the owner ends the services of a RI and appoints another RI, then a letter of relinquishment of the first RI has to be submitted to SCDF as well as a new letter of appointment.


After the project is completed, the QP must apply on behalf of the owner. No fee is charged for the application of a TFP/FSC. The TFP/FSC application has to be submitted electronically (on-line) through the CORENET system (CORENET e-submission). 



You need to submit the following documents:

  • TFP/FSC application form
  • Certification for Fire Safety Works
  • Certification for Lift Installation and Operation
  • Certification for Fire Engine Access Road and Accessway
  • RI Inspection Certificates (Form 1 and 2)
  • RI Inspection Report
  • Letter of Appointment for RI
  • Declaration of Regulated Fire Safety Products

Other forms of certification that may be needed to process the application are to be submitted to SCDF only if specifically requested after the application has been made.



Processing of Applications

Your FSC application through the CORENET system will then be processed in SCDF computer system. SCDF will respond within 3-working days of an application. All communication is done electronically through the CORENET system including sending an FSC/TFP. 


If an application is rejected, the QP must comply with the instructions and re-submit. You can check the status of your application here after 3-working days.


*Note: Applications may also be selected for an inspection by SCDF. The inspection is normally carried out within 10 days of the application. If there are problems found during the inspection, the QP must make the changes and re-submit the application for FSC.


Owners of premises must keep their Fire Safety Certificates in a safe place once they have been issued. They are needed for future reference and may also have to be produced during checks made by SCDF staff. 


Please note that if you intend to install LPG manifold systems in your premises, you must first ensure that an FSC has already been obtained. You can then submit another application to obtain an FSC for LPG installation.