Design & Construction
The Civil Defence Shelter Engineering Department (CDSD) in the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) checks and approves shelter plans, and inspects and commissions shelters.
QPs engaged by owners or developers must ensure that the design of household or storey shelters complies with the "Technical Requirements for Household Shelters" or "Technical Requirements for Storey Shelters".
QPs must also ensure that plans of household or storey shelters are prepared, submitted, constructed and commissioned according to the Guidelines for Plan Submission, Construction and Commissioning of Household or Storey Shelters.
To enable early approval of household or storey shelter plans, QPs should seek pre-submission consultation with CDSD. QPs can make appointment with BCA officers via BCA e-booking system. CDSD’s office is located at 52 Jurong Gateway Road, 10th Storey.
Shelter Waiver and Inspection
SCDF and BCA co-regulate Civil Defence (CD) shelters in Singapore. In SCDF, the Fire Safety & Shelter Department (FSSD) processes applications for shelter waivers while the Central Enforcement Department (CED) inspects CD shelters.
QPs must ensure that:
- the proposed waiver provisions for household or storey shelters offer the protection level stated in "Technical Requirements for Household Shelters" or "Technical Requirements for Storey Shelters".
- only plans relevant to the waiver application are submitted as attachments to the shelter waiver application form and sent to FSSD
To help with the processing of household or storey shelter waiver applications, QPs should ask for a pre-submission consultation with FSSD. QPs may apply for formal consultations with FSSD or seek walk-in consultations during office hours:
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 am to 12:30pm and 2:00pm to 5:30 pm,
- Wednesday 11:00am to 12:30pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm
- Friday 8:30 am to 12:30pm and 2:00pm to 5:00 pm on Friday.