General Fire Safety Tips
Procedures to Operate a Fire Extinguisher
Procedures to Operate a Hose Reel
Do Kitchen Fires Happen?
Such fires occur due to one or a combination of the following reasons:
- Overheating oil in a pan, until such point that the oil gets hot enough to self-ignite
- Leaving cooking unattended
- Unattended cooking is one of the top 3 causes of fire in residential premises in Singapore.
- Never leave cooking unattended even for a short moment, for other activities such as answering a phone call.
- Putting raw food with water (i.e. washed vegetables) into a heated pan of oil
What should you do if your wok/cookware catches fire at home?
In the event of a kitchen stove fire:
- Keep calm and assess the fire. If the fire is too large, call 995 immediately
- If the fire is manageable, cover wok with lid or large damp towel COMPLETELY to extinguish the fire
DO NOT THROW ANY WATER ONTO THE FIRE
Procedures to Extinguish a Kitchen Fire
- Turn off the gas supply immediately
- Cover the wok/cookware with a lid or large damp towel(s)
- Use a dry powder fire extinguisher
- Call 995 for SCDF assistance if the fire goes out of control
- Pour water into the wok/cookware
- Use a water-based fire extinguisher
- Attempt to move the wok/cookware
- Use an ill-fitting lid, or a small towel