Initial Development Programme (IDP) is a systematic and holistic development programme established to enhance the overall staff development for SCDF staff.
The IDP identifies talent development activities, co-employment activities and enrichment opportunities to develop and groom its young officers. Other than a mentorship programme, IDP provides them with opportunities to lead in project study groups, organise co-employment activities for all SCDF officers and participate in enrichment activities. They also organise a IDP seminar annually to build/renew bonds and to dialogue with SCDF Senior Management.
Targeted to help young officers lay a strong foundation for their career advancement in SCDF, IDP ensures that young officers receive proper guidance and grooming for a career in SCDF and the Home Team (HT) Departments under the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). They gain wider exposure outside of their portfolios which helps hasten their assimilation into the organisation, and help enhances their effectiveness and maturity in managing their portfolios to contribute to the organisation's efficiency.
How IDP stands out is its completeness in developing and engaging officers, which include
- tapping their creative energy to be involved in SCDF through channels other than work;
- engaging them directly in organising activities for themselves and all in SCDF;
- involving them in project study to deepen their understanding of SCDF through helping to solve problems;
- identifying a comprehensive list of training courses to address their skill/knowledge needs;
- sharing with them plans and directions of SCDF, addressing their concerns and ensuring that they are heard by top management through yearly dialogue with Commissioner SCDF; and
- providing mentorship to guide officers.