The Safety and Risk Management Centre (“SRMC”) is a new inter-agency centre set up in 2014 to better coordinate and integrate efforts related to risk assessment, safety management and emergency preparedness. This centre brings together both safety regulatory authorities (SCDF, NEA and MOM) and economic agencies (JTC and EDB).
One of SRMC’s key initiatives is to assist regulatory authorities in the review of existing Quantitative Risk Assessment (“QRA”) guidelines, which involves industries handling hazardous materials.
As part of this review, SRMC will pilot the draft revised QRA guidelines from August 2014 (“Pilot Phase”). The Pilot Phase is estimated to be completed by 1st Quarter of 2015.
SRMC will be commissioning a series of pilot studies in collaboration with companies (“Pilot Studies”). The Pilot Studies will be in relation to fixed installations handling hazardous materials (“Fixed Installations”). SRMC will be the project lead in overseeing the conduct of the Pilot Studies. For the purpose of the Pilot Studies, SRMC will appoint third-party consultants to assist in the conduct of the Pilot Studies.
The objective of the Pilot Studies is for SRMC to sense-check the draft revised QRA guidelines and their applicability in the local context.
To support industry’s participation in the Pilot Phase, SRMC will co-fund 80% of the cost of each Pilot Study, subject to a co-fund cap of S$70,000 per Pilot Study, whichever is lower.
Process for Pilot Phase
|Pilot Process||Indicative Timeline||Description|
SRMC calls for Project Proposals (as referred to under ‘Instructions for Interested Companies’ below) for Pilot Studies
- Companies interested in participating in the Pilot Studies to submit Project Proposals to SRMC via email
SRMC selects Project Proposals and contacts shortlisted companies
- SRMC will select Project Proposals based on the Evaluation Criteria (see below) and will inform the selected companies.
SRMC appoints third-party consultants and commissions the Pilot Studies
|Oct - Dec 2014|
- SRMC will appoint third-party consultants and commission the Pilot Studies for the selected Project Proposals. SRMC will co-fund 80% of the cost of each Pilot Study, subject to a co-fund cap of S$70,000 per Pilot Study, whichever is lower.
- The Company is responsible for securing its own funding for the remainder of the cost of the Pilot Study.
Conduct of Pilot Studies
|Jan – May 2015|| |
Review results of Pilot Studies
|Jun – Sep 2015|
- SRMC will review and consolidate findings from the Pilot Studies.
Evaluation Criteria for Selection of Pilot Projects
SRMC will evaluate the applicants’ Project Proposals and select suitable pilot projects based on the following non-exhaustive criteria:
· A QRA study has been conducted for a fixed installation in recent years (e.g. last 10 years);
· Previous QRA was carried out for the whole plant (including plant within mega site);
· Fixed Installation fits the following categories of activities:
o Petrochemical Manufacturing Facility;
o Specialty Chemical Manufacturing Facility; or
o Storage Facility/Terminal;
· Previous QRA has Fire, Explosion and Toxic Release scenarios; and
· Previous QRA has IR (Fatality) and Worst Case Credible Scenario contours generated.
SRMC reserves the right in its absolute discretion to refuse to consider, select and/or carry out any of the Project Proposals submitted, regardless of their merit. Any decision made by SRMC regarding the evaluation and/or selection of any Project Proposal is final and shall not be subject to challenge or dispute.
Instructions for Interested Companies
Companies interested in taking part in the Pilot Studies should send an email to SRMC_enquiry@srmc.gov.sg, with the following details (also referred to as the “Project Proposal”):
· Description of Fixed Installation and manufacturing activities;
· Site plan and location map; and
· Past QRA report submitted to and approved by the authorities.
The submission deadline for the Project Proposal is 25th September 2014.
Companies whose Project Proposals are selected may expect to be notified via email from SRMC within 3 weeks from the submission deadline.
Companies Selected for Pilot
Companies whose Project Proposals are selected by SRMC shall:
· Provide necessary plant information/data to SRMC for the conduct of the Pilot Studies;
· Provide necessary assistance to SRMC throughout the process of conducting the Pilot Studies;
· Provide inputs on the design and scope of the Pilot Studies, as required by SRMC;
· Provide inputs for sharing of key findings from the Pilot Studies with industry, as required by SRMC, and in this regard, grant such consents as SRMC may require to allow SRMC to conduct such sharing sessions;
· Enter into such agreements necessary for the successful carrying out of the Pilot Studies, including but not limited to an agreement setting out the detailed obligations of the said company under the Pilot Studies.
For enquiries on the Pilot Studies, please email SRMC_enquiry@srmc.gov.sg
Accuracy of Information
SRMC and its component agencies give no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided by SRMC herein or otherwise. Neither SRMC nor its component agencies shall not be liable for any loss, damage or claim that arises as a result of any information provided herein or otherwise by SRMC being incomplete, inaccurate or misleading.