SCDF was alerted to a case of fire at the above mentioned location at 2105hrs. 2 Fire Engines, 1 Red Rhino, 1 Ambulance, 1 support vehicle were dispatched.
Upon SCDF’s arrival, white smoke was seen issuing from a 9th floor unit. Fire fighters arrived at the affected unit and found an elderly lady inside the unit standing near the front metal grille door. The metal grille door was locked. Fire fighters used rescue tools to pry open the metal grille door and brought the elderly lady out of the unit. Paramedic at scene immediately attended to the elderly lady who complained of breathing difficulties. She was conveyed to the Singapore General Hospital. Concurrently, fire fighters quickly extinguished the fire which was confined to the stove area in the kitchen.
The cause of fire is still under investigations.
General Household Fire Safety Tips:
- Do not leave cooking unattended; turn off all cooking appliances and unplug them when not in use.
- Avoid wearing clothes with long loose sleeves when working near heat sources.
- Never place or store combustible items/ materials (for eg. Paper etc) near heat sources.
- Do not overload electrical outlets (for eg. do not overload multi-plugs).
- Check for broken wires and exposed wirings; if any are found, replace them immediately.
- Do not throw burning embers (for eg.hot charcoal) into rubbish chutes without fully extinguishing them first.
- Keep matches, lighters and candles away from children.