Petroleum Storage & Transportation
Petroleum storage and transportation or other related activities are considered dangerous as they pose a threat to life and property in the event of fire. Hence application for their issuance is mandatory to achieve a safer working environment. The licensing authority is the Licensing Branch of the Central Enforcement Department of SCDF.
||Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
||Liquid Petroleum with a Flash Point below 23°C
||Liquid Petroleum with a Flash Point between 23°C and 60°C
||Liquid Petroleum with a Flash Point between 61°C and 93°C
• Flammable Materials
Flammable Materials listed in the Second Schedule of the Fire Safety (Petroleum & Flammable Materials) Regulations 2005.
Application for licenses
a) Manual Submission (for foreign registered vehicle ONLY)
The application form should be sent to:
Central Enforcement Department
HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force
91 Ubi Avenue 4
** Click on the hyperlink to find out more on submission requirements.
1) Submission Requirements for Petroleum & Flammable Materials Import Licensing
- Any person who wishes to import petroleum or flammable materials is required to obtain an import license from SCDF.
- Applicant must possess a valid storage license. Note that the import license is essential for the online declaration via Tradenet to be successful.
2) Submission Requirements for Petroleum & Flammable Materials Storage Licensing
Any person who wishes to store petroleum or flammable materials in quantities exceeding that specified in the Fire Safety (Petroleum & Flammable Materials – Exemption) Order 2005 is required to obtain a storage licence from SCDF.
• Licensing For LPG Piped System / Installation
As from December 1997, all HDB coffee shops which are using LPG have to house their LPG cylinders in steel enclosures, located outside the coffee shops and piped into the individual stalls.
The LPG manifold piping systems for this purpose shall comply with relevant clauses of NFPA 54 & 58, the Fire Safety Act, relevant provisions of code of practice for Fire Precautions in building or other accepted code of practice.
The Professional engineer is required to conduct a leak free proof test and certify that the system is safe for operation before commissioning.
• Licensing For Petroleum Dispensing
As dispensing of petroleum products such as LPG requires proper provisions, installation, techniques and special equipment, approval from SCDF must be obtained.
• License Validity Period
Applicant may choose to apply for a licence validity period of 1 to 3 years.
Documents To Be Submitted
- One copy of approved plan or certified true copy of the approved plan showing the proposed storage area;
- One copy of site plan showing the location of the premises;
- A copy of Registration of Business Particulars (Form B or D) or Certificate of Incorporation of Company;
- A copy of Temporary Fire Permit or Fire Safety Certificate of the premises;
- For bulk tanks and major piped installation, additional documents such as Manufacturer's reports and all the relevant test reports duly endorsed by a Professional Engineer are to be submitted;
- For HDB coffee shops, additional documents such as no objection letters from Town Council, Professional Engineer's Certification of piped system including equipment and pressure test report for the piping and fittings and the supplier's letter of undertaking are to be submitted.
- A copy of the Emergency Response Plan (ERP)
Please refer to regulation 25 Fire Safety Act (Chapter 109A) Fire safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 2005 for the definition of 5 metric tonnes.
3) Submission Requirements for Petroleum & Flammable Materials Transport Licensing
Any person who wishes to transport petroleum or flammable materials must obtain a license for each vehicle that is used for such transportation. The transportation of petroleum and flammable materials is to be carried out within approved hours and along approved routes.
Requirements on road transportation of Hazardous Materials (HazMat)
- Transportation of petroleum and flammable materials in packages or in bulk can only be carried out during 7.00 am – 7.00 pm
- A dealer of LPG for household delivery may transport Class 0 petroleum in cylinders during 7.00 am - 9.00 pm
License Validity Period
- Applicant may choose to apply for a licence validity period of either 1 or 2 years.
Documents To Be Submitted
- A test certificate on the roadworthiness of the vehicle issued by the Land Transport Authority of Singapore.
- A copy of Vehicle Registration Card.
- A copy of the Transport Emergency Response Plan (TERP) for that vehicle.
- A certificate of inspection from an approved inspector.
- If the vehicle is leased, a letter of approval from the owner.
- A list of drivers having valid Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Permits engaged by the applicant.
- For bulk transportation, the additional documents:
- the manufacturer’s specifications and design plans of the tank
- a hydrostatic test report of the tank
- a plan of the vehicle
- For packaged transportation, the additional documents:
- A letter of authorization from the supplier
The applicant can apply for P&FM Transportation licence on-line via LicenceOne.
For more information on the application of P&FM Transportation licence, you may refer to the LicenceOne Guide.
Guidelines for Transport Emergency Response Plan (TERP)
1. For SCDF's regulated Petroleum and Flammable Material (P&FM)
For Package Transportation
For Bulk Transportation
2. For other Government Agencies (eg. NEA, SPF, MOH, etc.) regulated hazardous chemicals
Exemption for Transport License
The transportation of petroleum and flammable materials in the following quantities are exempted from licensing:
Less than 130 kg (gross weight) in not more than 2 cylinders;
Less than 20 litres of Class I petroleum; or
Less than 200 litres of Class II and Class III petroleum.
• Flammable Materials
Less than 130 kg (gross weight) in not more than 2 cylinders of flammable gases;
Less than 20 litres of flammable liquids; or
Less than 10kg of flammable solids.
Anyone engaged in petroleum storage, dispensing or transportation without license may face a maximum fine of $ 10,000 and / or imprisonment of six months.
Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course
Under the current legislation of the Fire Safety Act (FSA) and the Environmental Pollution Control Act, drivers transporting hazardous materials are required to be competently trained in preventing and mitigating accidental releases. The Civil Defence Academy (CDA) and other Accredited Training Institutes (ATIs) offer the Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course. Interested applicants may contact CDA to find out more on the 1-day course offered by CDA or the ATIs.
Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Re-Certification Test
The Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Re-Certification Test is implemented to assess whether the existing HTDP holders are able to retain their knowledge and skills learnt during the Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course earlier on before they are certified to renew their Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Permit (HTDP). However, if the driver fails the test, he will be required to take the 1-day Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course to renew his permit. Interested applicants may contact CDA to find out more on the half-day test.
Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Permit (HTDP) Scheme
The Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Permit Scheme is introduced for drivers who wish to transport hazardous materials on Singapore roads. Drivers must carry a valid permit whenever he/she is driving a vehicle transporting hazardous materials. The permit is valid for 2 years and drivers are required to attend the Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course or Hazardous Materials Transport DriverRe-Certification Test to renew the permit. As no reminder letters will be sent, all drivers are to renew their permits on time, i.e. one month's period upon the issue of their certificates before their existing permits expire.
Driver's Identity Verification System
The Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Permit (HTDP) comes in the form of a smart card. Each permit will contain individual biometrics (i.e. fingerprints) and relevant information of the drivers. This will be used in conjunction with the Driver's Identity Verification system to verify the identity of the driver at checkpoints or any roadside inspections conducted by the relevant authorities.
Application for Hazardous Materials Transport Driver Course
For more details on the application, please contact the following institution:
Civil Defence Academy (CDA)
Corporate Affairs Branch
101 Jalan Bahar Road
Tel: 6794 5502
Fax: 6794 5561
back to top
Last updated on 23rd Nov 2016