Fire Safety

Guide Book on Application for Petroleum & Flammable Material Licence

This guide book is published by the SCDF to explain the procedures and requirements in relation to application for P&FM (Petroleum & Flammable Materials) licence.



This guide book is meant to be a useful and easy reference for the public to understand and comply with the Fire Safety Act and Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 2013. When in doubt, the Act and Regulations should be referred to and clarifications may be sought from the SCDF.

1. What is a P&FM licence?

Under the Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 2013, import, transport and storage of petroleum and flammable materials (P&FM) are under the SCDF licensing control. Anyone who intends to import, transport or store petroleum or flammable materials beyond the stipulated exemption quantities which are mentioned in some later sections in this webpage is required to obtain a licence from SCDF.

2. What is the purpose of the P&FM licence scheme?


Petroleum and flammable materials can pose fire risks and endanger life and property in the event of fire. Given the current security climate, it is also important that such materials do not fall into the hands of terrorists or their collaborators and be used as weapons for mass destruction. There is thus the need for the licensing control and to step up the safety measures for the movement and distribution of P&FM in Singapore.

3. What are the licensable petroleum and flammable material?

Chemicals regulated under the Fire Safety (Petroleum & Flammable Materials) Regulations 2013 are divided into 3 groups – petroleum, flammable materials and mixtures that contain petroleum and / or flammable materials.


a) Petroleum

Petroleum refers to any hydrocarbons (ie with only carbon and hydrogen in its molecular structure) with flash point below 93 degree C (199 degree F). This includes crude petroleum, liquefied petroleum gas and other naturally occurring hydrocarbons derived from crude petroleum, coal, shale, peat or other bituminous substances. Petroleum products are further divided into the following classes:

(i) Class 0- Liquefied Petroleum Gas;

(ii) Class 1- flash point below 23 degree C;

(iii) Class II- flash point between 23 and 60 degree C (both inclusive);

(iv) Class III- flash point between above 60 but less than 93 degree C


Class 0, I & II petroleum are regulated by SCDF. For Class III petroleum, diesel is the only licensable product.


b ) Flammable Materials

The regulated flammable materials are based on the gazetted list in the Fire Fourth Schedule of the Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations 2013 . There are a total of 366 groups of chemicals in the current list. This list of flammable materials is subjected to review periodically – with inclusion of additional flammable materials and / or removal of certain flammable materials in the list. Click on the link below to download.





c ) Mixtures

Any mixture that contained component of petroleum and / or flammable materials and has a flash point less than 60 deg C (140 degree F) is regulated by SCDF.


In summary, petroleum products are regulated according to its flash point (criteria-based schedule) while the licensable flammable materials are from a list-based schedule.


Note :

Flash Point

The lowest temperature at which sufficient vaporization of the substance is produced which will flash momentarily when a flame is applied. The flashpoint is available in the product’s MSDS.

4. What products are exempted from P&FM licence?

The exempted products are as follows:
1) Adhesives
2) Cigarette lighters and portable gas lighters
3) Cosmetic and beauty products including hair styling products
4) Food and beverages including beer, wine and liquor
5) Insecticides and pesticides
6) Lacquer solvents
7) Lubricants
8) Medicine
9) Paints
10) Pharmaceutical products
11) Varnishes

5. What is the maximum quantity of P&FM allowed to be stored without a storage licence?

All storage of P&FM, regardless of quantity stored, have to comply with fire safety requirements for storage of flammable materials in premises. All storage of P&FM must be indicated in building plans submitted to SCDF for approval. Storage licence is not required if the quantity stored or kept is below the licence exemption quantity as follows:

a) Class 0 Petroleum

PurposeExemption Quantity
For private use in a private dwelling houseNot more than 30 kg in not more than 2 cylinders
For use in an eating placeNot more than 30 kg per stall in the eating place (whether occupied or not), subject to a maximum quantity of not more than 200 kg to be stored at that eating place
For use in a restaurantNot more than 200 kg
For use in a factoryNot more than 300 kg per factory

b) Any Other Classes of Petroleum

Type of Use
Exemption Quantity     
Class I PetroleumClass II PetroleumClass III Petroleum
For private use in a private dwelling house or for use in any business other than in a factoryNot more than 20 litersNot more than 200 litersNot more than 1,500 liters
For use in a factoryNot more than 400 litersNot more than 1,000 litersNot more than 1,500 liters

c) Flammable Materials

The exemption quantities for the 366 classes of Flammable Materials are in the following folder. Click on the link to download the Exemption quantities for flammable materials. ( *, 58.50 KB )

d) P&FM Mixtures

Mixed storage or keeping of any petroleum and flammable material, or more than one flammable material, in separate containers or compartments within any premises shall be exempted from the requirement of a licence if:

(i) Where all the substances are solids, their aggregate weight does not exceed 20kg;

Eg. If you store several kinds of petroleum/flammable materials of which all are solids, for instance, aluminum powder, calcium carbide and calcium silicate, you are required to have a storage licence if the overall quantity of all such solids together exceeds 20kg.

(ii) Where all the substances are liquids, their aggregate volume does not exceed 40 liters:

Eg. If you store several kinds of petroleum/flammable materials of which all are liquids, for instance, butanol, chlorobutane and acetone, you are required to have a storage licence if the overall quantity of all such liquids together exceeds 40L.

(iii) Where all the substances are gaseous, their aggregate weight does not exceed 10kg; or

Eg. If you store several kinds of petroleum/flammable materials of which all are gases, for instance, acetylene, hydrogen and ethane, you are required to have a storage licence if the overall quantity of all such gases together exceeds 10kg.

(iv) Where the substances are in mixed states, their aggregate weight does not exceed 20kg.

Eg. If you store several kinds of petroleum/flammable materials of which consist of solids, liquids and gases, for instance, calcium carbide, acetone and acetylene, you are required to have a storage licence if the overall quantity of all such solids, liquids and gases together exceeds 20kg.

(v) Construction site

The exemption quantity for diesel storage licence at construction is not more than 1,500 liters. This is on condition that only diesel and no other petroleum/flammable materials are being stored. However, if there is other petroleum/flammable materials storage, then the exemption quantity will follow that as stated in Question 1 above.

vi) Wastes Chemicals

Flammable chemicals, be it a pure or waste chemical, is subjected to same SCDF fire safety requirements for storage.

6. Who should apply for a P&FM licence?

Anyone who wishes to import, transport, store or keep P&FM at any premises should apply for a P&FM licence.

7. Can I apply for storage licence for a premise that I do not own?

Where the applicant for a licence to store or keep any petroleum or flammable material or both at any premise is not the owner of the premise, the application shall also be accompanied by the consent in writing of the owner of the premise or of the legal personal representative, if the owner is deceased. However, he/she applies for the licence and become the licensee shall be responsible for everything pertaining to such storage.

8. When should I apply for the P&FM storage licence?

The applicant can apply for a P&FM storage licence as soon as the fire safety requirements for the premises have been complied with on site and he or she has obtained or made application for the Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) for the premises. FSC is issued after the premises is completed and certified that the fire safety works for the storage of the P&FM has been constructed in accordance with the approved building plans. While the applicant may make concurrent application for the FSC and the P&FM licence, the P&FM licence would be issued only after the FSC has been obtained.

9. How to make an application?

Applicant needs to confirm if his premises have been approved for storage of petroleum or flammable materials during the Building Plan stage (by checking the approved building plan). If not, the applicant will have to engage a Qualified Person (QP) to prepare and submit to SCDF, building plans incorporating the necessary fire safety works in accordance with the Fire Codes and other accepted codes. Upon approval of plans, applicant can start the construction of the approved fire safety works. For more information on plan approval, please refer to Building Plan Approval.



Upon completion of fire safety works, applicant is to engage a Registered Inspector (a QP who is registered by SCDF to conduct fire safety inspection). The Registered Inspector (RI) would apply for the FSC on behalf of the building owner after he has certified that fire safety works are completed and in accordance with the approved building plans. SCDF, upon receiving the RI certification, would issue FSC to the building owner. For more details on FSC application, please refer to Temporary Fire Certificate/Fire Safety Certificate.


The applicant can apply for P&FM storage licence on-line via LicenceOne.

For more information on the application of storage licence, you may refer to the LicenceOne Guide.

10. What is needed before making an application?


a) One copy of approved plan or certified true copy of the approved plan showing the location of the premises and proposed storage area.



b) A copy of Temporary Fire Permit or Fire Safety Certificate of the premises if it is issued by JTC or HDB or LTA. However, if it is issued by FSSD, the applicant is required to fill in the BP Plan number only for on-line submission.



c) Please note that submission of TFP /FSC is not required for HDB Eating House.



d) For bulk tanks and major piped installation, additional documents such as Manufacturer's reports and all the relevant test reports duly endorsed by a Professional Engineer are to be submitted.



e) For HDB Eating House, additional documents including a letter of no objection and endorsement of location plan of the LPG storage area by the Town Council, LPG schematic diagrams, Professional Engineer's Certification of piped system including equipment and pressure test report for the piping and fittings and the supplier's letter of undertaking are to be submitted.



f) A copy of the Emergency Response Plan (ERP) for that premise.

11. How soon can my application be processed?

Your application will be processed within 7 working days and SCDF will notify you to arrange for an inspection. If documents submitted are in order and the inspection is satisfactory, approval will be granted and the Petroleum / Flammable Materials storage licence will be issued upon payment made.

12. How much does this licence cost and what is the validity period?

The Petroleum & Flammable Materials storage is valid for 12 months and the fees are based on quantity of storage:

Petroleum & Flammable Material (Liquid)

not exceeding 500 liters


exceeding 500 liters but not exceeding 5,000 liters


exceeding 5,000 liters but not exceeding 50,000 liters


exceeding 50,000 liters but not exceeding 250,000 liters


exceeding 250,000 liters but not exceeding 450,000 liters


for subsequent 450,000 liters or part thereof


Flammable Material (Solid)

not exceeding 200 kg


exceeding 200 kg but not exceeding 5,000 kg


for subsequent 5,000 kg or part thereof


Flammable Material (Gaseous)

not exceeding 50 kg


exceeding 50 kg but not exceeding 5,000 kg


for subsequent 5,000 kg or part thereof


The Petroleum / Flammable Materials transportation licence is $105/- and is valid for 12 months. Applicant can make on-line payment through the LicenceOne or to SCDF website.


Alternatively, you may choose to make off-line payment at HQ SCDF's counter via NETS, Cash card or Credit Card (cash & cheque payment are unacceptable). For information on GIRO scheme or clarification on payment matters, you may wish to contact SCDF Finance Department at 68481623 / 68481618

13. What happens after I have made the submission?

After a submission is made via LicenceOne, if the submission is in order, SCDF will contact you to arrange for a date to inspect your premises within seven days after the submission is made. Upon inspection, a payment notice will be sent to you. You will receive the licence after the payment for the licence is made. Otherwise, you may receive information on areas that you have not met with the licensing requirements. You will be given time to comply with the requirements and arrange for a re-inspection. The flow chart for the application process is as follows:

14. What are the fire safety works to be incorporated during building plan stage, pertaining to storage/keeping of flammable materials?


In general, all buildings are to comply with the Fire Code. In addition, SCDF adopts CP 40 (SS532) for storage of flammable liquids, NFPA 55 for storage of compressed gas, NFPA 45 for lab-based chemical usage as basic design guidelines. The project QP (Qualified Person) shall preferably discuss with SCDF on the project details. This is to ensure that concerns are being addressed during the early phase of building design stage.



You may wish to refer to SS532 if you do not store flammable materials in larger quantity such as in tank or drums. For storage quantity below the `Minor Storage' and meeting the requirements specified in SS532, You could proceed straight to apply for storage licence without plan approval. That is you do not need to appoint QP to do plan submission and RI to conduct inspection.



If you wish to store larger quantity of flammable materials than the `Minor Storage', you could store them in the approved fire safety cabinets as recommended in SS532. You need only to engage a QP to ensure that the storage complied with the SS532 requirements and lodge a plan with the SCDF. You could proceed straight to apply for storage licence without a Fire Safety Certificate; that is appointment of RI is not required.


You could come to SCDF for a walk-in consultation to clarify issue pertaining to Minor Storage and storage in fire safety cabinets or any other matters pertaining to fire safety requirements on storage of flammable materials free of charge. To assist SCDF Fire Safety Consultants, you are advised to bring with you a copy of your building's layout plan and the list of flammable materials and storage quantity.


The following links are for your reference :


The Fire Code is available on SCDF internet website.

Access to Spring Singapore for CP 40 (SS532).

Access to NFPA for NFPA publications.

15. What conditions do I need to fulfill?


1) To keep and maintain a register of all P&FM stored or kept at the licensed premises, their quantities, movement, and their Material Safety Data Sheets;



2) To ensure that ventilation, means of escape, structural fire precautions, fire prevention and extinguishing systems of the licensed premises are maintained and functioning in accordance with the approved building plans;



3) To take all practicable steps to prevent fire, explosion, leakage or ignition of any P&FM in the premises;



4) To disallow activity that may cause fire, explosion, leakage or ignition of any P&FM in the premises including activity that is not necessary for the purpose of storage or keeping of P&FM in the premises;



5) To ensure that all entrances, passageways, exits and other means of escape in the premises are free from obstruction at all times;



6) To ensure that the premises are accessible to fire engines, ambulances and other emergency vehicles at all times;



7) To ensure that the storage/stacking of P&FM will limit the spread of any fire that occurs, not endanger the occupants in the course of their work and not hinder access for emergency vehicles or occupants to escape;



8) To prevent unauthorized persons from entering the premises and to limit staff access to area where P&FM are stored;



9) To keep the premises clean and in good condition. The premises should be clear of dry grass, unmown grass and vegetation, undergrowth, debris and other combustible material;



10) To provide and maintain such types and quantities of fire-fighting material and equipment as may be required by the Commissioner;



11) To provide and maintain such types and quantities of sensors as may be required by the Commissioner;



12) To ensure that personnel who are required to handle P&FM in the premises are conversant with the law, the approved codes of practice and the actions to be taken in the event of fire, explosion, leakage or other similar emergency;



13) To establish and maintain such number of persons as in-house, on-site Company Emergency Response Team (CERT) as the Commissioner may direct;



14) To ensure that CERT members are competent in handling incidents involving P&FM in the event of any fire, explosion, leakage or other similar emergency;



15) To ensure that all CERT members have successfully passed the competency test;



16) To subject the CERT to periodic assessment of its emergency preparedness;



17) To adopt security measures such as installation of security equipment including close circuit cameras at appropriate locations within the licensed premises, preventing any unauthorized person from gaining access or performing unauthorized activity and reducing the storage quantity of P&FM within such time as specified by the Commissioner;



18) To prepare and keep up-to-date an Emergency Response Plan (ERP) to deal with spillage, leakage, accidental discharge or other emergency, include the off-site impact, if any. You may access the following link for the guidelines for ERP.



Guidelines for company Emergency Response Plan (ERP)



19) To ensure that all persons working in the premises know the contents of the ERP.



20) The ERP should cover the following:



(a) Identification of likely accidental scenarios and establishment of the likely impact zones;



(b) Notification and activation procedures;



(c) Response actions to contain and control the release and to mitigate the impact zones;



(d) Monitoring of the affected areas, including the off-site affected areas;



(e) Procedures for decontamination and clean-up of affected areas;



(f) Names of personnel with their assigned roles and responsibilities in dealing with the emergency (including the decontamination and clean-up of the affected areas);



(g) List of emergency response equipment, including protective gears, fire-fighting equipment, oversized drums, emergency containers or tankers, absorbents, neutralizing agents, monitoring equipment and clean-up equipment, made available for dealing with the emergency; and



(h) Any other information as required by the Commissioner.



21) To subject the ERP for test, review, or amend within a time period specified by Commissioner;



22) To ensure that there are adequate trained personnel and adequate equipment to deal with any emergency or accident;



23) To implement the ERP in the event of any emergency.



24) To ensure that no P&FM be sold or supplied to any person unless he has a valid licence to store or keep, or transport the P&FM;



25) To ensure that the dispensing of P&FM from tanker into storage tank is carried out under close supervision of a person who has knowledge of and experience with the dispensing;



26) To ensure that no lighted candle, cigarette, burning of joss sticks, or any naked light, fire or flame is permitted within the precincts when dispensing of P&FM is being carried out;



27) To ensure that the engine of the vehicle is shut off during dispensing operations; the vehicle chassis must be first be earthed, the rate of filling must be limited to prevent any electrostatic discharge which may cause ignition of flammable vapors; the connections for dispensing must be properly secured and the quantity should not exceed its tank capacity.



28) To ensure sufficient numbers of appropriate emergency information panels and warning labels are installed at the approved storage area;



29) To ensure that the storage containers for P&FM are the types that are designed and constructed in accordance with an approved standard

16. Where do I submit the (ERP) Emergency Response Plan and (CERT) Company Emergency Response Team for approval?

17. Where can I get a list of Qualified Persons (QP) and Registered Inspectors (RI)?

You can obtain information on Qualified Persons from the Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA) at website: and the Professional Engineers Board (PEB) at website: For the list of RI, you may access the SCDF Download wepage.

18. Will I need to apply for a new license if I have new additions of petroleum/flammable materials to my existing license?

No. However, you will need to inform SCDF (Central Enforcement Department) about the new additions of petroleum/flammable materials to your existing license. Alternatively, you may access the LicenceOne to submit an update to your existing license.

19. If I need to add in more licensable products for my storage licence after submission of online application, what should I do?

You may access the LicenceOne to submit an update to your existing on-line license application.

20. If I need more information on application of P&FM licence, who can I contact?

You can contact the following SCDF licensing officers:

Import & Transport

Ms Alice Seto

Team Leader, FM Import & Transport Licensing Team

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1485, FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]


Mr. K. Mahaintharan

Asst. Team Leader, FM Import & Transport Licensing Team

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1429 FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]


Mr. Muhammad Nasir Hashim

FM Import & Transport Licensing Specialist

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1468 FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]



Mr. Heng Keng Liang

Team Leader, FM Storage Licensing Team

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1428, FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]


Mr. Md Faizal Mazlan

Asst. Team Leader, FM Storage Licensing Team

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1495 FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]


Mr. Muhathir Mohamad

Senior Specialist, FM Storage Licensing Team

Licensing Branch/ Central Enforcement Department

HQ Singapore Civil Defence Force

DID: 6848 1442 FAX: 6848 1494

Email: [email protected]

back to top

Last updated on 3rd Oct 2014